Wednesday, April 23rd is Administrative Professionals’ Day……just another made up holiday to guilt people into buying gifts for people. Last year I wrote a post about the day itself, so this year I thought I would make a week-long blog giving everyone a few tips and tricks on how to be a better assistant. If you have any tips, please add them to the comments section.
Organization and Efficiency:
- Stay on top of expenses. They are too much of a pain to do too many at one time. If you need to do large amounts of expenses, sort and put in date order prior to starting the electronic entry. Also, I am not usually a fan of wasting paper, but using scrap paper and tape to secure and organize receipts is an efficient way to keep the process smooth and flowing.
- Keep active items in your inbox. Star the ones that need action from you. Do not archive until the action has been completed.
- When there is an internal meeting or appointment put the email trail into the invite. This helps you keep track of how the meeting came to be and gives you easy access to contact details.
- When adding a contact, be sure to include the person’s assistant’s contact information in the notes as well.
- When updating a calendar entry, add the reason for the update in the description with the date of the change. This way everyone stays on the same page and no one has to inspect the entry for what changed.
Being organized in every aspect of your job will allow everything to flow as smoothly as possible. Staying on top of things and being proactive is one of the main tasks of your jobs. Get to it!